Saturday, November 17, 2007

Bubur Pulut Hitam

The picture above doesn't really show that the dessert is appetizing does it? That's the best picture I can find thus far. Bubur Pulut Hitam, otherwise known as Black glutinous rice porridge, is one of the many desserts found commonly in Malaysia (although it has become quite common in Singapore as well). It is cooked with sago and served hot with santan (coconut milk).

What really appalled me was the reaction I received when I bought this dessert in Koufu the other day. Three of my classmates were staring at me when I brought the dessert to the table. Three of them, not one! The way they stared is as though i was bringing deep fried naked mole rats to the table. Even a fourth classmate, who knows about the existence of the dessert exclaimed to me "Eh Nasu, you also know about pulut hitam arh?" Thus, I was wondering...

Do all of you know what pulut hitam is? Reason being I see a lot of dessert shops selling them and its quite awkward not to notice their existence. However, a more appropriate question would be: Have any of you ate pulut hitam before?

No comments: